We all have limiting beliefs and attitudes. Overcoming and reframing these interpretations has a huge impact on our satisfaction and happiness in life, but many people have to work on their personal stumbling blocks for years before they see results. What if you could permanently boost your motivation and confidence overnight? Or quickly and easily eliminate long-standing fears and phobias?
Neuro Linguistic Programming claims to achieve just this…to allow people to rapidly and easily “reprogram” deep-seated attitudes, fears and beliefs.
NLP – a method for rapid, mental change
NLP is a technique resulting from studies on the essence of change.
The central metaphor of NLP, as you might guess from its name, is that your brain is like a computer; a device which turns inputs into outputs. Our attitudes and beliefs represent the “software” installed in the “hardware” that is our brain matter. Throughout our lives, we “program” ourselves (aka learn) to respond in certain ways to certain stimuli. If you don’t like the way you behave or react in a given situation, all that’s necessary is to “upgrade” the software to something which gives you more of the results you want. And just like your computer, once you’ve upgraded the software and eliminated the problem, the changes are immediate and permanent.
NLP can help you :
-Build your self-belief
-Develop a Vision/Mission for your life
-Increase your abilities in Rapport & Persuasion
-Eliminate Fears and Phobias
A Powerful (and simple) NLP technique
There are a myriad of NLP routines out there. Here is one that is easy and quick to execute.
The Swish Pattern – Building confidence in specific situations
In this exercise, you imagine a situation in which you regularly feel a lack of confidence. Some examples of situations this pattern can help with might be public speaking, making a cold-call, approaching an attractive stranger, or perhaps competing in a sport or activity of some kind.
- Identify a Cue Image – Imagine a situation in which you regularly feel a lack of confidence. Visualize this situation intensely, becoming aware of any other images, sounds or physical sensations you associate with it. Set this image aside
- Distraction – To completely set aside this situation, say your telephone number out loud. Then again, backwards.
- Create a Resourceful Self-Image – In your minds eye, see a future version of yourself, a “resourceful you”, that has already solved this problem with methods yet to occur to you. Make the image of this “future you” large, colorful and bright. Notice yourself feeling drawn to this future you. Now imagine this “future you” saying in a frank and honest tone “I feel good about myself”. Let yourself feel the good feelings this “future you” is experiencing.
- Practice Expanding the Resourceful Self-Image (RSI) – Next, compress the future you image into a tiny, sparkling dot. Allow it to rapidly expand to lifesize. Now imagine a blank screen, place the sparkling dot on the screen and repeat this process several times until the rapid expansion of the image becomes automatic.
- Place the RSI Dot in the Cue Image – Now place the sparkling dot on your cue image.
- Swish – Rapidly expand the dot over the Cue Image until it completely encompasses the image. Feel the good feelings your RSI feels.
- Blank Screen – Now imagine a blank screen, like in a movie theater.
- Repeat – Repeat steps 5-7 10x going faster and faster each time. Place the dot on the Cue Image, Swish, experience your RSI’s good feelings, and imagine a Blank Screen.
- Multiply the RSI – Shrink your RSI to the size of a playing card, and multiply it until you have a stack. Leave one full size RSI image in front of you, while you throw the rest into the air. Watch them raining down around you in concentric circles, as far as your eye can see, expanding to full size as they land. Feel the positive feelings of all your RSIs.
- Test your Work – Now that you’ve run through the pattern several times, test your work by going back to the original Cue Image. Do you still have the unpleasant feelings you originally did? If you still do, repeat the pattern from the beginning.